Cypress for Windows, and Deep Fried Wood
Today we talk about Cypress for window construction and other alternatives like modified wood or stave core construction. Then we talk about really old wood and how it holds up after 1000 years like the oldest door in the UK at Westminster Abbey. Then how about deep frying your wood to preserve it?
- An Oz farmer planted his own forest and is an example to follow
- Quercus tardifolia isn't extinct after all!
- David asks about Red Oak vs White Oak and Quercus robur
- Darren shares how the CEC values standing trees
- Luke shares that slabbing lumber is usually more expensive per board foot than dimensional lumber
- Tom asks about using Cypress for window sash construction and it is stable enough to do the job.
- Jon has deep fried his wooden spoons and wonders if this technique has merit for something like a cutting board.
- Anthony shared UK's Oldest Door and asked if we can build them like they used to.
- David was watching Moana with his daughter and wonders if the boats hidden behind the waterfall for 1000 years would actually be seaworthy.
Leave a Reply