Lumber quotes, Moisture Meters, Kiln Fires, and Thickness prices
This episode I catch up on some questions submitted via email and then spend some time talking about steamed vs unsteamed Walnut. What is the steaming process and how does it work. Why is it done in the first place? And why is the by-product so stinky and nasty?
Chris called in with some first hand softwood lumber industry knowledge about COVID pricing and some forecasts.
- Mike asks if it is common for greater thicknesses to be priced higher than 4/4
- Theo wants to know if urban logged lumber can fill in for more common species shortages
- Matt asks about moisture meters used by the pros
- Benjamin wonders if not honoring a quote past 24 hours is too extreme
- Finally I talk about kiln drying vs air drying and urge people to not burn down their shops by trying to kiln dry unless you really know what you are doing.